Tuesday, September 28, 2010

St. George Wildlife Museum

We had a great opportunity to go to St. George with the majority of the Davis family. As part of the trip, we spent an afternoon at the wildlife museum. I think all of the kids loved it, but Parker was especially happy to be there. (He LOVES animals. I think he absorbed everything the tour guide told us.) The museum is filled with hundreds "stuffed" animals from many different regions all over the world. The tour guides taught us about many different animals and areas of the world. (Useless fact, did you know that an alligator's snout is rounded and that a crocodile's snout is pointed.)
After the complete tour of the museum they had an activity for the kids too.
They all worked hard on their coloring project.

Let me pause here to tell you the creepiest part of the museum. You would think that a museum filled full of dead animals would be pretty creepy, right? The animals weren't all that bad. In fact, the animals were quite interesting. They worst part of the whole tour were the two education rooms. In one room they had a few animals that had been prepared so that the kids could feel what their different pelts/skin felt like. (The bear cub in the picture above is real.) I will look at dead/"stuffed" animals all day. But don't ask me to handle one. YUCK!!!

(What do you call animals that have been to a taxidermist. I know that "stuffed" isn't the right term. . .)

The second creepy room was filled with dead bugs. They lure you into the room by putting the most beautiful butterflies in cases on the back wall. It wasn't until we got inside the room that you can see all the other disgusting creepy-crawlies. They even have the sound of cicadas chirping in the background. It gave me a MAJOR case of the willies!

DOUBLE YUCK!!!I must admit, I think that the boys thought touching the animal pelts was pretty cool. Especially because they got to dress up in camouflage to do it.

To tell the truth, I think the bug room was particularly yucky because the day before this I had a little run in with a scorpion. That's right ladies and gents. A SCORPION! I could drag this story out, but I think I'll just hit the highlights.

-Jeremy, Avie and I went shopping.
-I piled a bunch of clothes on top of the stroller. (With Avie in it.)
-I left Avie with Jeremy, took the clothes and went to try them on.
-I noticed something crawling on a pair of jeans as I was taking them off/hanging them up.
-I realized what it was.
-I FREAKED OUT!!!
-Got dressed. (without screaming in terror.)
-Poked my head out of the dressing room and flagged down a store clerk.
-The clerk gasped.
-Caught it, and took it out.

First of all. It was only a small scorpion and it was a creamy color. (It was about as long as my pinky finger and it was a creamy/off-white color.) I found a little reassurance in this.

Until I found out that these are THE WORST KIND!!!

It was at the wildlife museum that they taught me that the smaller/whiter the scorpion is the more deadly it's venom is.

Lovely.


Just lovely.




I realize that no one likes little creepy-crawly things but I think I am forever ruined. I am still having horrible nightmares about little legs crawling all over me and Avie. Thank heavens I took the scorpion with me to the dressing room.

6 comments:

Jo said...

Yay an update! And. . .ewwww! I'm glad you were okay. I think it was better you didn't have that knowledge until after the incident. Your freaking out might not have been so silent :) Mine wouldn't have been.

Wendy said...

Looks like you had a very fun summer...I kept checking back to read about the rest of your adventures. My sister lives in Mesa and sees scorpions frequently...I couldn't ever get used to that, however we are heading down there in Nov. for my niece's wedding.

Lara said...

I have heard about this museam. I bet the kids had a blast. I would be freaking out a little about the bug room too. And the scorpion story...I got the heebie jeebies just hearing about it. Nasty!! Do you have PTSD now. I wouldn't blame you if you did. :)

Shill and Company said...

Very cool museum. Looks like a lot of fun. I can't get over the scorpion part of this post. Yuck, yuck, yuck!

Brooke said...

I am glad I didn't have to be the one to tell you that the smaller the scorpion the worse it is.

Katie said...

Yuck. In Winnemucca I used to always have these little freak outs when I got up in the night with kids after people told me scorpions sometimes come in the house through vents. I always had this little fear that I'd step on one in the dark. Fortunately I never saw one.