Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Good, The Bad and The Unfortunate

A few weeks ago we woke up to this.

Unfortunately, one of the last storms blew down a large section of our weeping willow tree.
After talking with a professional tree guy we realized that the tree could not be salvage. So we had it removed.
To make things worse, after talking with him about the rest of the trees it was apparent that 2 more trees needed to be taken out.
When the previous owner planted the trees he overlooked some very important pruning that needed to be done at the time the trees were planted. As a result we had one particular tree that looked like it would rot out and fall onto our house in the next couple of years.

Down it came.

Say goodbye to a little bit of our shade. . .






What's the GOOD news you may ask?

Removing 3 trees opened up a lot of space, and many possibilities for our backyard.
The new plan for the backyard includes a nice swing set/playground, fruit trees, a vegetable garden and maybe even a fire pit.

SMORES anyone?

8 comments:

Lara said...

What fun stuff to look forward to! I can't wait to see it complete!

Herget Family said...

What a bummer. I have been very jealous of your yard because of the trees. It's good info to know for future tree planting. Who would have guessed there was more to planting trees than the obvious. You probably know all that kind of stuff. I can't wait to see what you will turn it into next. Sounds like a lot of work to me, but fun of course!

Amy said...

Did I hear SMORES? I'm totally there!

laura s. said...

Lauren! You HAVE to come over and help me design my yard! It's a total blank slate and in desperate need of something beautiful. Please help!! I have a couple ideas but would love an expert opinion.

laura s. said...

Oh yeah, you're only allowed to come over if you bring that A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E baby with you!

Jo said...

I'm so sorry Laur! I know with your creativity and talent you guys will do something wonderful!

Megan said...

Mmmmm... s'mores....

Amanda said...

Holy COW! Wow. that could have been really bad. Sorry about your fence though. Good call on being positive about all the new space! :) and yes. S'mores sound perfect... when do you want us to come over?